- 7 flat stages
- 5 hilly stages
- 7 mountain stages and 5 mountain-top finishes (La Planche des Belles Filles, Tourmalet, Foix Prat d’Albis, Tignes, Val Thorens)
- 1 individual time-trial stage
- 1 team time-trial stage
- 2 rest days
There will be 3 stage cities of sites visited for the first time out of a total of 34.
- Binche (start of stage 3)
- Saint-Dié-des-Vosges (start of stage 5)
- Pont du Gard (start of stage 17)
In Foix (Stage 15), the finish will be set at the summit of Prat d’Albis (1 205 m)
The 2019 Tour will go through two countries, Belgium and France. It will visit the three Belgian regions (Bruxelles-Capitale, Flanders and Wallonia) and 37 departments of France.
Like in 2018, there are two time-trials on the menu:
- by teams for stage 2, Bruxelles Palais Royal > Brussel Atomium on a distance of 27kms
- individual for stage 13 in Pau on a distance of 27kms. It’ll be on Friday the 19th of July, a date that marks the 100th anniversary of the Yellow Jersey.
It’ll be the third time that a finish is set at the top of the Pyrenean mountain after 1974 (victory of Jean-Pierre Danguillaume) and 2010 (victory of Andy Schleck). The Tourmalet is also to date the mountain that has been climbed the most in the history of the Tour: 82 times.
At an altitude of 2 770 metres, the col de l’Iseran that hasn’t been climbed for twelve years will be the summit of the 2019 Tour. It will be climbed for the 8th time.
They will be distributed at the finish of each normal stage and will offer respectively 10, 6 and 4 seconds to the first three.
It was an innovation on the last Tour de France: bonus-point sprints will be reintroduced in 2019. Bonus seconds will be awarded at the top of the 8 following hills or mountains at key places of the course:
- Stage 3: côte de Mutigny
- Stage 6: col des Chevrères
- Stage 8: côte de la Jaillière
- Stage 9: côte de Saint-Just
- Stage 12: Hourquette d’Ancizan
- Stage 15: Mur de Péguère
- Stage 18: col du Galibier
- Stage 19: col de l’Iseran
It will have no influence on the points classification.