WHAT YOU NEED TO WEAR TO RIDE IN COMFORT – SPRING/SUMMER EDITION
Whether you are a newcomer to the sport or you have been riding for years, there are some things you need to know (or need to be reminded of) before you get ready for your next ride.
Our cycling clothing partner Santini have put together a list of cycling gear basics to a flawless, comfortable day on your bike.
- Always wear a base layer. It doesn’t matter how hot the day is. A good base layer will help transfer your sweat to the outside leaving your skin dry.
- Choose a jersey that fits you well. How your jersey fits is very important for your comfort and performance on the bike. If you want to train in it, it should fit close to the skin without being too tight. If you must race in it, you can go for a sleeker fit, to enhance the aerodynamics and boost your performance.
- Go for a full zipper and triple back pocket. A full zipper makes your life easier if you need to open your jersey completely. Multiple pockets are great to store everything you need during the ride.
- Privilege a jersey made with a UPF 30 or 50 fabric. Staying long hours under the sun can be harmful to your skin. A jersey made with fabrics with a UPF 30 or 50 will protect your skin from sunburn. We suggest to always wear sunscreen all over your body too, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Never forget a wind vest. Even if you are riding during a hot summer day, a wind vest is highly recommended. You need to consider you might have to descend after a sweaty climb or face a colder temperature with a higher altitude, so you need to protect your core. Store it in your back pocket and use it whenever you need it!
- Your seat pad is your best friend. Choose one that works for you. You might have to experiment different ones before you meet your match, but once you find it, it will be a gamechanger.
- Choose bib-shorts over shorts. Bib-shorts will cover your lower back making sure it gets protected from the wind. Also, bibs will keep your shorts from moving down while you pedal, exposing your back.
- Do not wear underwear underneath your bib-shorts. We know you know it. But, just in case you forgot, we are happy to remind you
- Check out the weather forecasts and be prepared. There is nothing worse than getting caught by rain when out on your bike. So, check out the weather forecast before your go out and make sure you bring the right clothing to face what’s coming.
Now that you know the basics, you can get ready to enjoy your next ride! Remember to visit santinicycling.com to get some new cycling gear!