On the road
Population: 565,307 (2010)
Subprefectures : Epernay, Reims, Sainte-Menehould, Vitry-le-François
Surface: 8 162 km2
Largest town: Reims (Pop: 187,650)
Economy: agriculture, champagne, bio-refineries.
Specialties: champagne, Sainte-Menehould pork feet, mustard, vinegar, pikes of Lac de Der, pink biscuits of Reims, croquignoles (cakes).
Tourism: cathedral of Reims, champagne vineyards, lake of Der.
Population: 193,923 (2010)
Subprefectures: Commercy, Verdun.
Surface: 6,211 km2
Largest town: Verdun (Pop: 18,000)
Economy: agriculture, dairies, automobile, furniture, bonnetry,
Specialties: dragees (sugared almond), jam, madeleines of Commercy, plums.
Tourism: Argonne forets, WWI sites (Verdun), castle of Commercy, lake of Madine.
Population: 732,207 (2010)
Subprefectures: Briey, Luneville, Toul.
Surface: 5,246 km2
Largest town : Nancy (107,000)
Economy: steel works, services, research, universities (Nancy), aeronautics (Chambley-Bussieres)
Specialties: bergamot, quiche lorraine, rum baba, lorrain pate, madeleine, plums, macarons, saint Epvre (cake).
Tourism: Nancy (Stanislas square, Nancy school Art Nouveau), Castle des Lumières (Luneville), Abbey of Premontres, medieval city of Liverdun, Baccarat, Vauban fortifications.
Km 23 : Chalons-en-Champagne
An old market town turned into a garrison city in the 19th century, Chalons-en-Champagne is the prefecture of Marne and the Champagne-Ardenne region. Among the remnants of its past feature the house of the Intendants of Champagne, turned in to the Prefecture, the Notre-Dame-en-Vaux collegial, housing one of the largest chimes in Europe, and the St Etienne cathedral. The Tour stopped in Chalons in 1974 and 1993, crowing two Belgians, Eddy Merckx and Johan Museeuw.
Jersey wearers after the stage 9
- 07/13A day of glory for Tony & Tony
- 07/13Vinokourov: "A present for France"
- 07/13Tony Gallopin: «It's more than...
- 07/13Pierre Rolland: "I rode like I was...
- 07/13Tony Martin: "I've invented a second...
- 07/13Alain Gallopin: "A huge emotion"
- 07/13Michal Kwiatkowski: "Only Tony Martin...
- 07/13Peter Sagan: "I made a mistake"
- 07/13Talansky - Surprisingly well
- 07/13Did Nibali falter?
- 07/13Attackers, hands up!
- 07/12Cofidis - Managing the injuries
- 07/12Elia Viviani : « I hope to have my...
- 07/12Riders, don't be surprised by...
Sponsorship and Environment
The Jerseys of the Tour
Receive exclusive news about the Tour de France
Will the three stages in the Vosges determine the overall winner?
- Yes, they’ll confirm Nibali’s domination9.61%
- No, the real fight will happen in the Alps47.68%
- No, Contador will win the Tour in the Pyrenees30.74%
- No, Porte will beat them all in the time trial11.97%