An impressive fireworks show that attracts each year over 500 000 people on the evening of the 14th of July came as a bit of a bonus gift for Yaroslav Popovych who had won the stage that finished in the town in 2006. Among the riders who put Carcassonne on fire, Jean Stablinski had triumphed there during one of his most glorious seasons. It came after a stage success at the Tour of Spain that he finished in 6th position overall, a second French champion's title and of course his victory at the World Championships.
A fortified town, unique in Europe for its size and condition of conservation, marked by 2,000 years of conquests and crusades. Visit the chateau and its ramparts from 10.00 – 18.30. Information and Reservations on +33 (0) 4 68 11 70 70. For guided tours, contact the Tourist Office on +33 (0)4 68 10 24 30
Canal du Midi
Barge trips or cycle rides along the banks. Information on +33 (0)4 68 10 24 30
Built in 1260 under Saint-Louis according to a quadrangular plan organised around its main square, it is full of outstanding architectural delights.
From 19 June – 3 August. Information and Reservation on + 33 (0)4 68 11 59 15
Jacobins' Gate : Fanfare at 11.00am
Museum of Fine Arts
Paintings and ceramics from XVII century to present day. Exhibition “Cérès Franco Acte 1 : Les imagiers de l'imaginaire”. 1, rue de Verdun - Open from 14.00 – 18.00. Free entry
Museum-Treasury of Notre Dame de l'Abbaye
Collections from the bishopric of the great and the small seminary in Carcassonne. - 103, rue de Trivalle Open from 10.00-12.00 and from 15.00-18.00. More information on +33 (0)4 68 25 16 65
The chance to plunge yourself back into the atmosphere of the primary school classroom from 1880 to the 1960s. Medieval city, rue du Plô. Open from 10.00 – 18.00 every day
Museum of Torture
Medieval City, 7, rue Saint-Jean - Open from 10.00 – 18.00
Jardin du Calvaire
This garden in the shape of a snail has many winding paths and is a haven of peace that is of botanical, historical and religious interest. Rue Voltaire - Free entry
Lac de la Cavayère
This artifi cial lake situated at the gates of Carcassonne has several relaxing beaches with a variety of nautical activities. Free access
Châteaux du pays cathare
A voyage through time and across the countryside of Aude visiting numerous castles, amongst them Aguilar, Lastours, Montségur, Peyrepertuse or even Quéribus.
Jersey wearers after the stage 19
- 07/25 Navardauskas delivers a Lithuanian...
- 07/25Peter Sagan: "I was first to crash"
- 07/25Thibaut Pinot: "I like time trialing"
- 07/25Tom-Jelte Slagter: "Champagne tonight!"
- 07/25Ramunas Navardauskas: "I used all my...
- 07/25Alejandro Valverde: "A very important...
- 07/25Romain Bardet: 'Give it my all"
- 07/25Vincenzo Nibali: "I'll race the time...
- 07/25Jean-Christophe Peraud: "Not like...
- 07/25Are sprints the same in the third week?
- 07/25Transition stage you said?
- 07/25Katusha - Kristoff eclipses Purito
- 07/25Alex Howes - "A crazy wild circus"
- 07/25Km 9.5 - Marciac and all that jazz
- 07/25Last occasion for attackers
Sponsorship and Environment
The Jerseys of the Tour
Receive exclusive news about the Tour de France
Will Peter Sagan complete the 2014 Tour de France without winning a single stage?
- Yes, the pure sprinters will beat him72.36%
- No, he'll win stage 19 in Bergerac18.23%
- No, he'll win in Bergerac and in Paris9.4%