An impressive fireworks show that attracts each year over 500 000 people on the evening of the 14th of July came as a bit of a bonus gift for Yaroslav Popovych who had won the stage that finished in the town in 2006. Among the riders who put Carcassonne on fire, Jean Stablinski had triumphed there during one of his most glorious seasons. It came after a stage success at the Tour of Spain that he finished in 6th position overall, a second French champion's title and of course his victory at the World Championships.
A fortified town, unique in Europe for its size and condition of conservation, marked by 2,000 years of conquests and crusades. Visit the chateau and its ramparts from 10.00 – 18.30. Information and Reservations on +33 (0) 4 68 11 70 70. For guided tours, contact the Tourist Office on +33 (0)4 68 10 24 30
Canal du Midi
Barge trips or cycle rides along the banks. Information on +33 (0)4 68 10 24 30
Built in 1260 under Saint-Louis according to a quadrangular plan organised around its main square, it is full of outstanding architectural delights.
From 19 June – 3 August. Information and Reservation on + 33 (0)4 68 11 59 15
Jacobins' Gate : Fanfare at 11.00am
Museum of Fine Arts
Paintings and ceramics from XVII century to present day. Exhibition “Cérès Franco Acte 1 : Les imagiers de l'imaginaire”. 1, rue de Verdun - Open from 14.00 – 18.00. Free entry
Museum-Treasury of Notre Dame de l'Abbaye
Collections from the bishopric of the great and the small seminary in Carcassonne. - 103, rue de Trivalle Open from 10.00-12.00 and from 15.00-18.00. More information on +33 (0)4 68 25 16 65
The chance to plunge yourself back into the atmosphere of the primary school classroom from 1880 to the 1960s. Medieval city, rue du Plô. Open from 10.00 – 18.00 every day
Museum of Torture
Medieval City, 7, rue Saint-Jean - Open from 10.00 – 18.00
Jardin du Calvaire
This garden in the shape of a snail has many winding paths and is a haven of peace that is of botanical, historical and religious interest. Rue Voltaire - Free entry
Lac de la Cavayère
This artifi cial lake situated at the gates of Carcassonne has several relaxing beaches with a variety of nautical activities. Free access
Châteaux du pays cathare
A voyage through time and across the countryside of Aude visiting numerous castles, amongst them Aguilar, Lastours, Montségur, Peyrepertuse or even Quéribus.
Jersey wearers after the stage 9
- 07/13A day of glory for Tony & Tony
- 07/13Vinokourov: "A present for France"
- 07/13Tony Gallopin: «It's more than...
- 07/13Pierre Rolland: "I rode like I was...
- 07/13Tony Martin: "I've invented a second...
- 07/13Alain Gallopin: "A huge emotion"
- 07/13Michal Kwiatkowski: "Only Tony Martin...
- 07/13Peter Sagan: "I made a mistake"
- 07/13Talansky - Surprisingly well
- 07/13Did Nibali falter?
- 07/13Attackers, hands up!
- 07/12Cofidis - Managing the injuries
- 07/12Elia Viviani : « I hope to have my...
- 07/12Riders, don't be surprised by...
Sponsorship and Environment
The Jerseys of the Tour
Receive exclusive news about the Tour de France
Will the three stages in the Vosges determine the overall winner?
- Yes, they’ll confirm Nibali’s domination9.61%
- No, the real fight will happen in the Alps47.68%
- No, Contador will win the Tour in the Pyrenees30.74%
- No, Porte will beat them all in the time trial11.97%