Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) dominated the final stretch of stage 3 of La Vuelta 2017 while Chris Froome (Team Sky) displayed his strength and took the red jersey. The first mountainous challenges of this edition offered intense racing and turned the general classification upside down. Nibali was able to get back to Froome after a strong move from the British rider to claim his first stage victory at La Vuelta. But Froome is the new overall leader, a position he only occupied for one day...
David De La Cruz (Quick-Step Floors): “It's a shame, being leader was the goal. I absolutely wanted to take the red jersey because we're headed to Catalunya tomorrow and it would have been amazing. I knew the terrain, but I couldn't do it. Yesterday, when I saw I'd lost a few seconds on the finish line, I knew it would affect the situation today. The important thing is that I gave it all. I've tried and Quick-Step has been great again. You can also look at things and say the worst place...
The stage in videos
- GoPro Highlights - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- Summary - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- Last kilometer - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- Attaque de Froome / Froome attacks -...
- 8.5 km to go - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- 27.5 km to go - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- 47.5 km to go - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- 72.5 km to go - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- 113.5 km to go - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- 133.5 km to go - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- 151.5 km to go - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
Prades Conflent Canigó / Andorra la Vella
The peloton only has to look up to get an idea of the day ahead. Located at the foot of the Pyrenees, Prades is bolstered in the South by the impressive Canigó Pyrenean...
La Vuelta 2017 route
La Vuelta 2017
Running from Saturday August 19th to Sunday September 10th 2017, the Vuelta will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,324.1 kilometres.
- 5 flat stages and 1 flat with high-altitude finales stage
- 8 hill stages
- 5 mountain stages
- 1 individual time trial stage
- 1 team time trial stage
Distinctive aspects of the race
- 40.2 km individual time trial
- 13.7 km team time trial
- 50 summits
- 2 rest days
Jersey wearers after the stage 3
- 08/21Summary - Stage 3 - La Vuelta 2017
- 08/21Nibali and Froome assert their ambitions
- 08/21De La Cruz: “I absolutely wanted to...
- 08/21Roche : “I was dreaming of taking...
- 08/21Rosa: "We were already happy gaining...
- 08/21Bardet: “I really wanted to win”
- 08/21Van Garderen: “ It's certainly a...
- 08/21Nibali: "My only way to win the stage...
- 08/21Froome: "I've thought about getting...
Receive exclusive news about the Vuelta