On the road
Population: 749,053 (2011)
Sub-prefectures: Montbrison, Roanne
Surface: 4,773 km2
Largest town: Saint-Etienne
Economy: steel works, mechanicals, medical textile, optical industry, design, supermarkets (Casino).
Specialities: râpée, barboton (meat), sarasson, fourme of Montbrison (cheese)
Tourism: zoo of Saint-Martin-la-Plaine, ski resort of Chalmazel, museums of Saint-Etienne, castle of Boutheon.
Population: 1,215,212 (2011)
Sub-prefectures: La Tour-du-Pin, Vienne.
Surface: 7,431 km2
Largest town: Grenoble
Economy: paper mills, metallurgy, electronic components, equipment, chemicals, food industry, tourism.
Specialities: gratin dauphinois, ravioles, Swiss chard à la voironnaise, petafine, bleu du Vercors (cheese), antésite, Chartreuse (drinks).
Tourism: winter sports (Alpe d'Huez, Deux-Alpes, Chamrousse, Villard-de-Lans), Grenoble (old town, museums)
Km 5.5 : Saint-Chamond
An ancient guard post of the Lyon aqueduct, the capital of Jarez and then an industrial city, St Chamond is the town whose mayor for 45 years was legendary French politician Antoine Pinay, the advocate of the strong franc. It was also the hometown of Formula One champion Alain Prost and the birthplace of children clothes brand “Z”, who sponsored the cycling team that won the Tour with Greg LeMond in 1990.
Jersey wearers after the stage 21
- 07/27 Kittel doubles up, Nibali wins the Tour
- 07/27Vincenzo Nibali: «Thank you the...
- 07/27Alessandro De Marchi: «It's a...
- 07/27Cheng Ji to the bitter end
- 07/27Peter Sagan: «I haven't won a...
- 07/27Thibaut Pinot: "An awaken dream"
- 07/27Jean-Christophe Peraud: "I had to add...
- 07/27Marcel Kittel: " It means a lot to...
- 07/27Romain Bardet: "Keep the bright side...
- 07/27Finish in Paris
- 07/27 Matthew Busche: "It was a mental and...
- 07/27Km 81.5 - Welcome on the Champs!
- 07/27Evergreen Cannondale
- 07/27Concours de puissance...
- 07/27The grand finale
Receive exclusive news about the Tour de France